Social Security Quick Tip: Getting Your Federal Student Loans Discharged

Did you know that if you are receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) that you may qualify to have your federal student loans discharged?  Yes, you read that correctly and it’s easier than you think.


In order to be eligible for the Total and Permanent Disability Loan Discharge you will need to complete a TPD Discharge Application and submit the required supporting documentation which consists of an award letter or Benefits Planning Query from the Social Security Administration verifying your benefits and that your next scheduled disability review will be in 5 – 7 years.


You may also provide documentation from the Veteran’s Administration showing that you have a service-connected disability that is 100% disabling or that you are totally disabled based on an unemployability rating.


Lastly, if you do not have either of the above pieces of supporting documentation you can have your physician certify on the TPD Discharge form that you are unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity.


Unlike most federal student loan forgiveness programs this application process appears to be extremely straightforward and streamlined.  For more information, be sure to visit the Total and Permanent Disability Discharge information page provided by federal student aid.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: